High resolution imagery created from watching DOT traffic cameras. 10,078 snapshots of a street corner in midtown Manhattan. Another image and process description inside.
The process for creating these images is the following:
- Create an Amazon AWS instance to download traffic camera image.
- Create a cronjob to grab an image every minute.
- Wait a week.
- `rsync` the images to a local machine
- rename all the images in the folder to be easier to work with (gist)
- generate slitscans using imagemagick, same as I would from a video source (as in the second image above).
- Slowly scan down each image, grabbing a single line of pixels at a time, as in the first image above (gist)